When you use Wanderly, you trust us with your personal data. We’re committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This notice describes the personal data we collect, how it’s used and shared, and your choices regarding this data.
This notice applies to users of Wanderly’s services anywhere in the world, including users of Wanderly’s apps, websites, features, or other services.
This notice describes how Wanderly and its affiliates collect and use personal data. This notice applies to all users of our apps, websites, features, or other services anywhere in the world, unless covered by a separate privacy notice.
This notice also governs Wanderly’s other collections of personal data in connection with Wanderly's services. For example, we may collect the contact information of individuals who use accounts owned by Wanderly for Business customers or of owners or employees of Wanderly partners. We may also collect the personal data of those who start but do not complete applications through an Wanderly app, or in connection with our other features.
All those subject to this notice are referred to as "users" in this notice.
Our data practices are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places.
B. The data we collect
- Data provided by users to Wanderly, such as during account creation.
- Data created during use of our services, such as location, app usage, and device data.
- Data from other sources, such as Wanderly partners and third parties that use Wanderly APIs.
The following data is collected by or on behalf of Wanderly:
- User profile: We collect data when users create or update their Wanderly accounts. This may include their name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, profile picture, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), driver’s license and other government identification documents (which may indicate document numbers as well as birth date, gender, and photo). This also includes emergency contact information, user settings, and evidence of health or fitness to provide services using Wanderly apps. This also includes gender and/or occupation.
- We may use the photos submitted by users to verify their identities, such as through facial recognition technologies.
- Background check and identity verification: We collect background check and identity verification information for candidates. This may include information such criminal record (where permitted by law), and right to work. This information may be collected by an authorized vendor on Wanderly’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, including through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic data about users from third parties.
- User content: We collect the information users submit when they contact Wanderly customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise contact Wanderly. This may include feedback, photographs or other recordings collected by users.
- Location data: Wanderly collects this data when the Wanderly app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device.
- Location data: We collect precise or approximate location data from users’ mobile devices if they enable us to do so. Wanderly collects this data any time the app is running in the foreground of their mobile device. We use this data to enhance your use of our apps to enable safety features, and prevent and detect fraud.
- Transaction information: We collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, , and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage data: We collect data about how users interact with our services. This includes data such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or services used before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
- Device data: We may collect data about the devices used to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion data, and mobile network data.
- Communications data: We enable users to communicate with each other and Wanderly through Wanderly’s mobile apps and websites. For example, we enable users to call, text, or send other files to each other (generally without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, Wanderly receives some data regarding the calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communications and the content of the communications. Wanderly may also use this data for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
- User feedback, such as ratings, feedback, or compliments.
- Users participating in our referral programs. For example, when a user refers another person, we receive the referred person’s personal data from that user.
- Wanderly account owners who request services for or on behalf of other users, or who enable such users to request or receive services through their accounts. This includes owners of Wanderly for Business accounts.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- Wanderly business partners through which users create or access their Wanderly account, such as payment providers, social media services, or apps or websites that use Wanderly’s APIs or whose APIs Wanderly uses.
- Vendors who help us verify users’ identity, background information, and eligibility to work, for regulatory, safety, and security purposes.
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
Wanderly may combine the data collected from these sources with other data in its possession.
C. How we use personal data
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications between users
- To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users
- In connection with legal proceedings
Wanderly does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users’ consent.
Wanderly uses the data it collects for purposes including
1- Providing services and features. Wanderly uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
- Create and update users' accounts.
- Verify candidate identity, background history, and eligibility to work.
- Offer, process, or facilitate payments for our services.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- In certain regions, using information derived from driver’s license photos, and other photos submitted to Wanderly, for safety and security purposes.
- Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities.
- Using user ratings and feedback to encourage compliance with our guidelines and as grounds for deactivating persons with low ratings or who otherwise violated such guidelines in certain countries.
- Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address user concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes
4- Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
5- Marketing. Wanderly may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about Wanderly services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events.
We may also send communications to our users about products and services offered by Wanderly partners. For example, if a user has looked at Wanderly jobs, we may provide recommendations, promotions, or ads about similar jobs offered by other Wanderly partners. Although we may send users communications about Wanderly partners’ products and services, we do not sell users’ personal data to, or share it with, such partners or others for purposes of their own direct marketing or advertising, except with users’ consent.
We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of Wanderly’s services, and user preferences and settings.
6- Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of Wanderly’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
7- Automated decision-making
- Matching users to users jobs. Users can be matched based on availability, preference, and other factors.
- Deactivating users who are identified as having engaged in fraud or activities that may otherwise harm Wanderly, its users, and others. In some cases, such as when a user is determined to be abusing Wanderly’s referral program, such behavior may result in automatic deactivation.
D. Cookies and third-party technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analyzing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviors and interests of people who interact with our services
E. Data sharing and disclosure
Wanderly may share the data we collect:
1- With other users
- Users’ first name
- Users’ first name with other users
- For those who participate in Wanderly’s referral program, we share certain personal data of referred users, with the user who referred them, to the extent relevant to determining the referral bonus.
2- At the user’s request:
- Wanderly business partners. For example, if a user requests a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, Wanderly may share certain data with those third parties. This may include, for example, other services, platforms, apps, or websites that integrate with our APIs; vehicle suppliers or services; those with an API or service with which we integrate; or restaurant partners or other Wanderly business partners and their users in connection with promotions, contests, or specialized services.
3- With the general public
Questions or comments from users submitted through public forums such as Wanderly blogs and Wanderly social media pages may be viewable by the public, including any personal data included in the questions or comments submitted by a user.
4- With Wanderly subsidiaries and affiliates
We share data with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, Wanderly processes and stores data in the United States on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
5- With Wanderly service providers and business partners
- Payment processors and facilitators
- Background check and identity verification providers
- Cloud storage providers
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Wanderly or on Wanderly’s behalf
- Vendors that assist Wanderly to enhance the safety and security of its apps
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers
- Insurance and financing partners
6- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
Wanderly may share users’ personal data if we believe it’s required by applicable law, regulation, operating license or agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing personal data with law enforcement officials, public health officials, other government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies; to protect Wanderly’s rights or property or the rights, safety, or property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share your personal data, including trip or order information, with the owner of that credit card.
This also includes sharing personal data with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
7- With consent
Wanderly may share a user’s personal data other than as described in this notice if we notify the user and they consent to the sharing.
F. Data retention and deletion
Wanderly retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Wanderly may retain user data after a deletion request due to legal or regulatory requirements or for the reasons stated in this policy.
Wanderly retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above. This means that we retain different categories of data for different periods of time depending on the category of user to whom the data relates, the type of data, and the purposes for which we collected the data.
Following an account deletion request, Wanderly deletes the user’s account and data, unless they must be retained due to legal or regulatory requirements, for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention, or because of an issue relating to the user’s account such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute. Because we are subject to legal and regulatory requirements, this generally means that we retain their account and data for a minimum of 7 years after a deletion request.
G. Grounds for processing
We only collect and use personal data where we have lawful grounds to do so. These include processing user personal data to provide requested services and features, for purposes of Wanderly’s legitimate interests or those of other parties, to fulfill our legal obligations, or based on consent.
We collect and use personal data only where we have one or more lawful grounds for doing so. Such grounds may vary depending on where our users are located, but generally include processing personal data:
A- To provide requested services and features
- User profile data, which we use to establish and maintain user accounts; verify user identity; communicate with users, and accounts; and enable users to make payments
- Usage data, which is necessary to maintain, optimize, and enhance Wanderly’s services, including to determine incentives,
- Transaction information
- Information relating to customer support
B- For purposes of the legitimate interests of Wanderly or other parties
This includes using personal data to maintain and enhance our users’ safety and security. For example, we use personal data to prevent use of our services by users who have engaged in inappropriate or dangerous behavior, such as by retaining data of banned users to prevent their use of Wanderly’s apps.
This also includes purposes such as combating fraud; improving our services, direct marketing, research, and development; and enforcing Wanderly’s Terms of Service.
In addition, it includes using personal data to the extent necessary for the interests of other people or the general public, such as in connection with legal or insurance claims, and to protect the rights and safety of others.
C- To fulfill Wanderly’s legal obligations
For example, Wanderly is subject to laws and regulations in many cities and countries that require it to collect and retain data about our users’ trips and deliveries, and to provide copies of such data to the government or other authorities. We collect and use personal data to comply with such laws.
Wanderly may also share data with law enforcement regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety, or requests by third parties pursuant to legal processes. Wanderly may also share information with public health authorities where required or permitted by law.
D- With consent
Wanderly may collect and use personal data based on the user’s consent. For example, we may collect personal data through voluntary surveys. Responses to such surveys are collected on the basis of consent and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
A user who has provided consent to a collection or use of their personal data can revoke it at any time. However, the user will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of that personal data.
III. Choice and transparency
Wanderly enables users to access and control the data that Wanderly collects, including through:
- In-app settings
- Device permissions
- In-app ratings pages
- Marketing opt-outs
Wanderly also enables users to request access to or copies of their data, changes or updates to their accounts, deletion of their accounts, or that Wanderly restrict its processing of user personal data.
A- Privacy settings
Settings menus in the Wanderly app for user give them the ability to set or update their location-sharing preferences and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from Wanderly. Information about these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings is described below.
- Location data
Wanderly uses users’ device location services to make it easier to help improve our services and customer support.
Users may enable or disallow Wanderly to collect location data from their mobile devices through the Settings > Privacy menus in the Wanderly app. Users can enable or disallow such collections through the settings on their mobile device.
- Share Live Location (candidates)
Candidates who have enabled Wanderly to collect location data from their mobile device may also enable Wanderly to share their location for better service.
Users may enable or disable this feature through the Settings > Privacy menus in the Wanderly app.
- Notifications: discounts and news
Users may enable Wanderly to send push notifications about discounts and news from Wanderly. Push notifications may be enabled or disabled through the Settings > Privacy menus in the Wanderly app.
B- Device permissions
Most mobile device platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without the device owner’s permission, and these platforms have different methods for how that permission can be obtained. iOS devices notify users the first time the Wanderly app requests permission to access certain types of data and gives users the option to grant or refuse permission. Android devices notify users of the permissions that the Wanderly app seeks before their first use of the app, and use of the app constitutes a grant of such permission.
C- Marketing opt-outs
Users may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Wanderly, Users may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from Wanderly by following the unsubscribe instructions in those messages. We may still send users who have opted out non-promotional communications, such as receipts for rides or information about their account.
D- User data requests
- Accessing data: Users can ask for an explanation of the data we collect from them and how we use it.
- Receiving data: Users can ask for a copy of data that Wanderly collects from them with their consent or as necessary to provide our services.
- Changing or updating data: Users can edit the name, phone number, email address, payment method, and photo associated with their account through the Settings menu in Wanderly’s apps. They may also ask that Wanderly change or update their data, including if they believe such data is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Deleting data: Users may request deletion of their account at any time through the Settings > Privacy menus in the Wanderly app, or through Wanderly’s website.
- Objections, restrictions, and complaints: Users may request that we stop using all or some of their personal data, or that we limit our use of their data. Wanderly may continue to process data after such objection or request to the extent required or permitted by law.
In addition, depending on their location, users may have the right to file a complaint relating to Wanderly’s handling of their personal data with the data protection authority in their country. For example, users in the European Union and South America may submit such requests to the data protection authorities in the country in which they live.
IV. Updates to this notice
We may occasionally update this notice. Use of our services after an update constitutes consent to the updated notice to the extent permitted by law.
We may occasionally update this notice. If we make significant changes, we will notify users in advance of the changes through the Wanderly apps or through other means, such as email. We encourage users to periodically review this notice for the latest information on our privacy practices.